Drumcode VJ content
This is an edit where I cut together all the VJ content I just made for the DRUMCODE record label into one quick, condensed video. The brief was to create VJ clips based on some of the album artwork of the DRUMCODE recent releases. I had to pick 10 album covers and either re-create the designs as close to the original as possible or use elements from the original artwork files themselves, but either way the idea was to bring the album art to life. From those 10 covers I then had to make as many variations as I could so that the VJs at the DRUMCODE gigs had as much to work with as possible, and in the end I created a total of 54 animations. All of this was done within 17 days back to back. A challenge that was extremely tough especially as the styles of the animations vary so much but I would have to say one of the most enjoyable challenges Ive faced and which I would gladly do all over.
Original Album Artwork
Here are the original 10 Album covers that I based the 10 sets of animation styles on. Below I have separated image galleries into each of the 10 styles and explain which elements I made from scratch and which animations I used the actual original artwork files.
This was a combination of 3d elements such as the mouths and worm shapes which I made, and the eyes which were from the original artwork files. All elements were then comped together.
This was the quickest to make. I warped and distorted the original artwork files into a sort of tunnel shape in post and then animated the blinking eye.
This was great fun to try get the 2d look in 3d and to put eyes on the end of tentacles, because why not! I just used the original album art as a reference and made it all from scratch using a toon material in 3d. With a bit of warping and editing in post.
Again I made everything in 3d with a toon material and used the original artwork as a reference.
I made everything in 3d with a toon material and then altered the renders quite heavily in post to get as close to the original album art as possible. I then played around a bit to get some other looks and variations.
This set of animations are probably the ones where I combined existing artwork elements and 3d the most. The heart shape and some of the dirt textures, which I added some simple animation to, are from the original art files. The swirls that come out of the heart and the skeletons were made in 3d and comped together with all the other elements. I really enjoyed working on these animations as the style and process was a bit different to the other styles.
This one was pretty straightforward as I used the original artwork elements of the ear and I just animated some of the pieces of the ear shape to give some secondary motion to the ear object and then obviously animated the square shapes. I played around with offsetting their animation to create some variation.
Strangely this set of clips are some of my favourites. Mainly the kaleidoscope style clips, because who dosnt like kaleidoscopes. They just gave a real graphic, bold feel that looked great at the first gig where these clips were used. The process involved was very much similar to the DC127 animations, apart from using the kaleidoscope effect, I also spent quite a lot of time separating the individual tentacles / tubes around the edges of the tentacles. I then animated each of the tubes which I feel gives the clips a subtle feeling of movement and life.
Again this one involved only 2d animation where I isolated each individual element of the original artwork file and added some simple animation combined with secondary movement. For the variations I made mini close up edits and an offset kaleidoscope effect.
Id have to say that this is one of my favourites too. I made everything in 3d and 2d and used the original artwork as a reference as well as using the original artwork files to create the hand drawn textures which I applied to the 3d objects. Like so many of the animation styles I just tried to have fun with the variations on the original album cover.